[cmNOG] How Mobile technology has been used to create an impact in Cameroon

Tomslin Samme-Nlar s.tomsleen at gmail.com
Jeu 1 Nov 10:45:16 WAT 2012

Good point @Tamon.

When I read it, I assumed they didn't mean all mobile subscribers had
Internet access as they didn't clearly state that fact. Plus, I sure know
that is not true from my amateur analysis, for example, MTN's simcards are
not sold with data activated, which means only those aware of mobile data
will request to be activated.
Also, when I was in Cameroon in May, and tried activating a simcard for
data, it took me an average of 10 call attempts to get through to MTN's
support center on phone. Then after being on phone for about 10 mins, I was
told they couldn't recognize my device, hence couldn't enable data support
remotely! So I had to go physically to a support center. Ofcourse, I got
lazy and took another few days to physically go there just to meet very
unfriendly/non-smiling customer care representatives.

Forgive my long story, but with such difficulty to activate data on the
simcard, I very much doubt if even half of the subscribers are using mobile
data.

Sleen

www.onelifeconsult.com
www.vmbgmusik.com