[cmNOG] CBCS | The UnderSea Internet Cable Joining Kribi (Cameroon) to Fortaleza (Brazil) (was "IXP in Brazil")

Sylvain BAYA abscoco at gmail.com
Ven 25 Mai 16:12:20 UTC 2018

Dear cmNOGers,

Hope, this will reach you well in your health !

Le 5/13/2018 à 10:38 PM, Mukom Akong T. a écrit :
> Thanks for sharing Jean-Francis
>
> By the way, do you or anyone here have more information about the main
> reason behind the SAIL cable?

I have found this [1] SAIL (South Atlantic Inter Link) project
storify/reporting video, at the Camtel web site. That's the follow-up of
the journey of the SAIL CS Recorder boat, which was carrying 6000 km of
Optical Fiber Cable to Cameroon. The arrival and splashdown (landing) of
that boat was celebrated in Kribi on 22th of this month (may 2018). We
can read more [2] via others sources.

> Is it like an alternative path to the US?

The yes answer is here [3] as we can read the followings about the CBCS
(Cameroon-Brazil Cable System) : « /“Telefónica as the leading Digital
Telco in Latin America brings into the project its existing national and
international facilities, years of local experience and future
commitment. We are delighted to partner with China Unicom and CamTel to
jointly provide facilities, and extensions for CBCS. The CBCS will offer
a new reliable route in the South Atlantic enabling us to provide a
better secure service to our customers”/, said Juan Revilla, CEO
Wholesale Business Unit in Telefónica Business Solutions »
On the other hand, we also learn that there is a datacenter, actualy
under construction, in the city of Zamengoue.
__
[1]: http://www.camtel.cm/en/sail-le-trait-dunion-cameroun-bresil/
[2]:
https://www.ticmag.net/cameroun-telecommunications-pose-cable-marin-sail-entre-kribi-fortaleza-a-debute/