[cmNOG] [Security] Difficult to say thank you (Mikrotik Users) ?

Sylvain BAYA abscoco at gmail.com
Mar 16 Oct 11:42:57 UTC 2018

Ch.e.è.r.e.s cmNOG-istes,
Dear cmNOGers,

...CSIRT Proactif [1] ou bien... :-/ :-)

...Proactive CSIRT [1] or not... :-/ :-)

Difficile de dire merci dans un tel contexte ?

Difficult to say thanks is such a situation ?

...veuillez regarder en dessous, pour mieux comprendre.

...please see below, for a better understanding.

"A Russian-speaking hacker, who goes by the name of Alexey, claims to
have hacked into over 100,000 MikroTik routers with a specific intent,
disinfect them.
Threat actors also exploited the exploit code for the CVE-2018-14847
vulnerability in MikroTik routers to recruit them in botnets such as
Mirai and VPNFilter.
“I added firewall rules that blocked access to the router from outside
the local network,” Alexey wrote.

“In the comments, I wrote information about the vulnerability and left
the address of the @router_os Telegram channel, where it was possible
for them to ask questions.”

Alexey changed settings for over 100,000 users, but only 50 users
contacted his via Telegram but of them were angry for the intrusion.

According to the researcher Troy Mursch, currently, there are over
420,000 MikroTik routers exposed only that have been abused in
cryptocurrency-mining campaigns."

To read the complete article see:

[1]:
<https://securityaffairs.co/wordpress/77125/hacking/mikrotik-routers-vigilante.html>